Friday, December 30, 2011

Redefining the standard of beauty

Black is bold. Black is beautiful. Black is beauty.

Often times, Blackness is not depicted as a symbol of beauty in the media. Instead, the media portrays Black people as ugly, dirty, and incompetent. We, Blacks, often times perpetuate these negative stereotypes by internalizing these messages. Mainstream has illustrated such a beautiful and powerful race as ugly and inferior out of fear and intimidation. Thus, these illustrations are derived from pure ignorance. You have heard the saying, "people fear what they don't know." It breaks my heart to see how easily we, as Blacks, fall into the traps of the mainstream worldviews. Therefore, at times, I will post photos of Black beauties (males and females) in a hopes to redefine the standard of beauty- Blackness!!! I therefore ask that you view these pictures from a different framework, knowing the meaning and purpose of this blog. With this aim in mind, I hope that as you continue to follow and support my blog, that you will see growth and progress in achieving such measure.

"Some say the blacker the berry, the sweeter the juice. I say the darker the flesh, then the deeper the roots." -Tupac





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this piece being black.bold.and beautiful mydelf I can relate I have akways redefined the standard because naturally I am because I am

Caress Sahura

TashaRenee said...

Well Put!!! I found myself at one time getting caught up in what society deems as beautiful, for example, hair. I have natural hair but felt prettier and received more compliments when it was Sewn in and flowing down my back! Now Realizing that my natural curls and kinks are as beautiful if not more! Its easy to get caught up in Societies definition of beauty but I am determined to stay true to my own. Thank you for your words!....Black is Beauty from the dark creamy skin to the curly coils and kinks of our hair!

Vee L. Harrison said...

I love that you are bold enough to tell such truth!! I enjoyed reading this. Black is so beautiful and it is time to love and embrace that!

Genovia Elle said...

Thank you all for your comments. This is a very passionate subject of mines, and I just hope that this blog touches those who realy believe that Black isn't beautiful...so heartbreaking. But they believe out of ignorance themselves. That's why we must spread the truth!!! OUR BLACK IS BEAUTIFUL!!! :)

Alicia Allen said...

Black people come in different shades and different but all of us are beautiful... I am so proud to see more of us embracing our natural beauty and loving it... Love the article and keep up the great work :-)

Alicia Allen said...

**Black people come in different shades and different fades**

Genovia Elle said...

Thanks so much Alicia!!! I just love your quote at the end..."Black people come in different shades and different fades."